Creating A Game

• Corleone Staff Forum Admin

Hello,

If you're interested in developing a game you'll need to understand the basic development tools.

Graphics are always required to start your game and can be created using software such as Microsoft Paint, Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. However we've set up a few graphics packages for you to begin and learn how to design your own game in the below links.

Map Design is probably the first development tool required and will take up the majority of your time. We create JSON files through Tiled which can be found here. To know more about map design we've created a thread here.

Animations control the movement of the player and NPC objects within the game (such as baddies, particle effects, sign posts and trees). We've made an animation editor which can be found here.

Scripting is possibly the last thing to worry about. Once you've set up a map and a premise to the game we can engage with you and help code the game. The interface, game effects and player controls can be manipulated using our own engine. We've set up in game scripting that can be built in to Tiled along with live action scripting. More details about scripting can be found here.

If you have any questions or need any further assistance please don't hesitate to drop me a message.

• Can we have a playerworld system that uses this scripting language? It would be easier?? I am really interested and I am getting my tileset done atm.

• @BaileyVanden said in Creating A Game:

Can we have a playerworld system that uses this scripting language? It would be easier?? I am really interested and I am getting my tileset done atm.

I too believe a server hosting service would be a great thing to implement, allowing development on a subscription however. Allowing just anyone to create a player world without knowing what they’re doing could potentially saturate the community and skew the development of servers.

• Going off of the JSON file idea. Using JSON as data storage is a poor choice because they are easily corrupted. When scripting a discord bot, I found out the hard way why you use a database to store values.